The Camaro Club (UK)

Online Community for all Camaro Owners and enthusiasts
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Starting engine
PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:59 am 
Big Block

Car Details:'79 Camaro, 350 V8
Ye the strange thing is, it used to start up within a couple of turns of it cranking. Even after it sitting for a year in-between starts on old fuel.

Had the tank out a couple of years ago and emptied and cleaned it, new fuel sock,, lines etc. and it's been topped up with new fuel from regular jerry can visits to the fuel station over the course of a few months. The fuel was probably only a few months old at most when i started it for the first time and i put the struggle down to there being no fuel in the systems. Started it a few months later and it still was struggling and has behaved the same since. Will try some additive as i have some already, hopefully that makes a difference.

Sorry, i didn't explain the fuel pressure bit well. What happened was i dropped the gauge and the needle now points to 2.5psi at rest. When i start the car, it goes up to 7.5psi which means it should have 5psi of pressure. However, there is a chance that is not correct, maybe the scale is out of whack and it could be reading too high or low with pressure applied, compared to the idle reading.
Quote:
I tend to avoid electric pumps for street driven machines because they are less bullet-proof than the regular mechanical pumps
Ye i'm happy to run a mechanical one, the car came with an electric one so left it there. Have been temped to switch it out as it drones the interior and adds literal noise making it harder to listen out for other stuff. I was surprised to see that NASCAR run mechanical fuel pumps still to this day! I have a new carter mech. pump ready to go, but can't get an outlet adapter for it. They normally run a hardline that comes with inverted flanged flare - good luck trying to find out the size and then finding an adapter that goes to a barb fitting for a hose :thumbdown:

Changed the spark plugs as well a couple of years ago and maybe they need to be gapped (I thought they came with the correct gap, will need to check).

How to post pics: When writing a message, scroll down and use the "attach file" option. Where possible, a photo sharing service can be used such as Flickr, Imgur etc. The image location (usually ending in .jpg) can be copy and pasted between the ][ brackets that appear when you click the 'Img' button (you can find this button at the top of the message box).

How to post youtube vids: Click on the 'youtubeHD' button at the top of the message box and in the middle of the ][ brackets that just appeared, copy and paste everything from the youtube web address that appears after the = sign i.e if this is the url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cNqaPSHv0 just copy "K2cNqaPSHv0").

Re: Starting engine

Sponsor

Sponsor

PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:54 pm 
Big Block

Car Details:1979 Camaro
Quote:
I have a new carter mech. pump ready to go, but can't get an outlet adapter for it. They normally run a hardline that comes with inverted flanged flare - good luck trying to find out the size and then finding an adapter that goes to a barb fitting for a hose :thumbdown:

Been there, done that. I wanted to go with AN hose (teflon so it's resistant to modern fuels.) I think it was 5/8-18, but I got mine here:
http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/an-to-un ... -176-c.asp

You then need the hose/adapters, so it's not a cheap option. But you could just go for the AN-barb adapter:
http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/push-on- ... es-8-c.asp

PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 pm 
Big Block

Car Details:1986 Camaro, bought into Spain by me in 1993.
305 replaced by a 355, 750 Demon carb, RPM AirGap intake, Brodix heads, Hedman Hedders, 3" Flowmaster exhaust.
Wheels are Summit aluminium 5 spokes, tyres are 245 rear 225 front BF Goodrich.
B/M transmission, battery relocated to the rear, GoodMark 4" cowl steel hood.
I´ve just installed the fuel pressure regulator and set the pressure to 6psi,
instructions for my 750 Speed Demon say 6-7.5psi.

Just need to wait and see....

Fuel pressure gauge needle is as steady as a rock.. :clap:

PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 am 
Small Block

Car Details:i have a Camaro Berlinetta 1979 in candy apple red
Morning i have the same prob will start usually second time but need to keep foot on excellerator , for a few secs but its fine once its been running a couple mins , and starts fine the rest of the day any advice thanks Bev

PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:54 pm 
Big Block

Mine won't start properly again after being parked up for a couple of hours.

Will have to check out carb tune and spark plug gapping.

The car used to start great before (always had the electric pump in place). Spark plugs are different, maybe that's something to do with it. Runs good at idle. :think:

I've read that maybe the pickup coil in the dizzy could be bad. Or the coil in the HEI lid.

How to post pics: When writing a message, scroll down and use the "attach file" option. Where possible, a photo sharing service can be used such as Flickr, Imgur etc. The image location (usually ending in .jpg) can be copy and pasted between the ][ brackets that appear when you click the 'Img' button (you can find this button at the top of the message box).

How to post youtube vids: Click on the 'youtubeHD' button at the top of the message box and in the middle of the ][ brackets that just appeared, copy and paste everything from the youtube web address that appears after the = sign i.e if this is the url: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cNqaPSHv0 just copy "K2cNqaPSHv0").

PostPosted:Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:21 pm 
Big Block

305 replaced by a 355, 750 Demon carb, RPM AirGap intake, Brodix heads, Hedman Hedders, 3" Flowmaster exhaust.
One of my headaches is my MSD distributor, it gets really corroded in there,
they started coating the pickup after I got mine....BUT why do replacement pickups corrode too ?

I´m using Autolite Copper Core Spark Plugs 3924 recommended by MADElectrical, he told me all the racer´s he knew used them for reliability.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atl-3924

And these are the equivalent but tapered seat.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/atl-24/overview/

PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 pm 
Big Block

That's very rusty!! Really surprised to see that, especially as an internal component in an internal part, in the climate it's in.

Is electricity passing through it? Might be having an influence on the metal. Could it be coated in something? I've gotten into the habit of of putting some type of grease on anything that's not coated, or is coated by likely to rust (e.g. all screws and bolts).

PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:30 pm 
Big Block

Apparently there is a build up of heat in the distributor
cap which when the car is parked leads to condensation.
A suggested solution is to drill two holes in the cap
180° apart, saw that on the MSD forum.

PostPosted:Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 am 
Big Block

Sounds like a relatively easy fix at least!

PostPosted:Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:29 am 
Small Block

Car Details:Honda
Once in a while mine'll begin straight up however some of the time it's a pooch on three legs attempting to run.